ADOPTION OF NEW CONSTITUTION
1.1 That Council adopts a revised Constitution which implements the Committee model of governance.
1.2 That Council agrees that any changes to parts 2, 3 or 15 of the Constitution shall require a two-thirds majority of Council.
1.3 That Council delegates authority to the Monitoring Officer to finalise parts 16, 17 and 20 of the Constitution prior to publication.
The Council considered a report on the adoption of the Council’s Constitution following the implementation of the committee model of governance.
At its meeting on 22nd November 2016, Council decided to implement the Committee model of governance with effect from Annual Council in May 2017. The Constitution had been revised and updated to provide a framework for the governance of the Council under the committee model of governance. The Constitution had been divided into 20 sections and was set out in Appendix 1 attached to the report.
It was proposed by Councillor Gregson and seconded by Councillor Stephen that technical amendments be made to the covering report and Part 2 of the Constitution as follows:
1. Recommendation at 1.2 of covering report be deleted.
2. Paragraph 3.2 of the covering report – deletion of the words “ and that any changes to Parts 2, 3 or 15 shall require a two-thirds majority of Council” and insertion of the words “for a period of at least 12 months”.
3. Part 2 – Articles of the Constitution, Article 14.2(a) delete the words “Changes to Part 2 (Articles), Part 3 (Responsibility for Functions) and Part 15 (Group Leaders’ Protocol) shall only be approved by a two-thirds majority of full Council”. The deletion of the words “all other parts thereof” in the next sentence.
Councillor Mitchell proposed an amendment to Parts 2, 15 and 19 of the Constitution. The amendments were as follows:
Part 2 Articles of the Constitution - delete article 6 and replace with the following wording:
“6.1 Election of Joint Leader of the Council
The Joint Leader of the Council will be two councillors elected to the position of Joint Leader of the Council. The two councillors elected as Joint Leader of the Council shall not be from the same political group. The Council will elect a Joint Leader of the Council on an annual basis at its Annual meeting.
6.2 Term of Office
The Joint Leader of the Council shall hold office until:
(a) They resign from office
(b) They are suspended from being a Councillor
(c) They are no longer a Councillor
(d) For one year from the date of election, save that they may be removed from office at an earlier date by resolution of the Council.”
Part 15 Group Leaders' Protocol - delete paragraphs 2 and 3 and replace with the following wording:
“2. The Joint Leader of the Council
2.1 The Joint Leader of the Council will be appointed by full Council.
2.2 The two councillors appointed as Joint Leader of the Council shall comprise one member of the Conservative Group and one member of the Labour Group.
2.3 The Joint Leader of the Council shall share responsibility for attendance at the Worcestershire Leaders' Board, the Local Enterprise Partnership and the City Plan Delivery Board.”
In paragraph 9 delete all references to Leader and Deputy Leader of the Council and replace with the words “Joint Leader of the Council.”
Part 19 Councillors Duties - delete all references to Leader and Deputy Leader of the Council and replace with the words “Joint Leader of the Council.”
And delegate to the Monitoring Officer authority to make any further correction to the Constitution to give effect to this amendment.
The amendment was seconded by Councillor Knight.
The proposer, Councillor Mitchell and the seconder, Councillor Knight, both spoke in support of the proposed amendment.
The Council then entered into a debate on the proposed amendment where support and opposition were expressed. On being put to the vote the proposed amendment was lost.
In accordance with the Council Procedure Rule 7.2 a named vote was requested by Councillor Mitchell and supported by four Members.
Record of Voting
A. Amos, B. Amos, Bayliss, Ditta, Feeney, Geraghty, L. Hodgson, S. Hodgson, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lacey, Mackay, Mitchell, Roberts, Stafford and Stanley
Agar, Berry, Biggs, Cawthorne, Cronin, L. Denham, P. Denham, Gregson, Hodges, Lamb, Laurenson, Riaz, G. Squires, J. Squires, Stephen, Udall. E. Williams and G. Williams
The Council then entered into a debate on the recommendation in the report, as amended, and on being put to the vote it was unanimously agreed and
RESOLVED: That the Council:
1. adopts the revised Constitution, subject to the amendment of Part 2 which implements the Committee model of governance; and
2. delegates authority to the Monitoring Officer to finalise parts 16, 17 and 20 of the Constitution prior to publication.
- Adoption of Constitution Report to Annual Council May 2017 Final, item 12. PDF 93 KB
- Constitution Complete for Annual Council May 2017 - Appendix 1, item 12. PDF 889 KB