Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Guildhall

Contact: Committee Administration 01905 722027, 722085 

Media

Items
No. Item

46.

Appointment of Substitutes

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

Minutes:

Councillor Sadiq for Councillor Riaz, Councillor Stanley for Councillor Geraghty, Councillor Udall for Councillor Desayrah.

47.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

Councillor Gregson declared an interest in item 52 (Community Festivals) as Chair of the Elgar Festival.

48.

Public Participation

Up to a total of fifteen minutes can be allowed, each speaker being allocated a maximum of five minutes, for members of the public to present a petition, ask a question or comment on any matter on the Agenda or within the remit of the Committee.

Minutes:

None.

49.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Of the meeting held on 29th January 2024 to be approved and signed.

 

Minutes:

In relation to minute 37 (Battenhall Park Pump Track), Councillor Jagger stated that she wished to apologise for her use of words in the course of the debate which may have been considered to be inappropriate. This was not aimed at any individual or any specific group of residents.

 

RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 29th January 2024 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

50.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Governance and Implementation

This item was withdrawn from the agenda.

Minutes:

The Chair advised that this item was withdrawn and it is intended to deliver a report on this topic at a future meeting of the Committee.

51.

Proposed Committee Performance Scorecard 2024/25 pdf icon PDF 173 KB

That the Committee:

 

1.       consider the proposed revised approach to corporate performance reporting; and

 

2.       consider the proposed content of the Committee Scorecard for 2024/25.

 

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on the proposed revised approach to corporate performance reporting and the proposed content of the Committee Scorecard for 2024/25. The Corporate Director – Finance and Resources presented the report and explained that the new Office for Local Government (Oflog) is developing a new national approach to measuring council performance. It was proposed to adopt the Oflog metrics which are relevant to services provided by the Council for corporate performance reporting to committee. However, much of the data published on Oflog will be annual figures with a time lag. It was therefore proposed to produce quarterly data for these metrics where possible and reported to the Policy and Resources Committee as a Corporate Scorecard. This will replace the current Key Performance Indicators reported to each individual policy committee, with the exception of the Income Management Sub-Committee, which receives only PIs related to the council’s income streams. Where there are clear gaps in the Oflog metrics, appropriate local PIs will be included in the Corporate Scorecard to Policy and Resources Committee. Many of the PIs currently reported to Policy and Resources Committee will continue to be reported. Other policy committees will continue to receive quarterly reports. The proposed Place and Economic Development Committee scorecard content for 2024/25 was appended to the report.

 

In the ensuing discussion, it was suggested that a decision on the proposed revised approach should be deferred until a new Council has been formed following the elections in May 2024. The Corporate Director explained why it was timely and appropriate time to take a decision now regarding the way forward.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree:

 

1.    the proposed revised approach to corporate performance reporting; and

 

2.    the proposed content of the Committee Scorecard for 2024/25.

52.

Community Festivals pdf icon PDF 660 KB

That the Committee notes the completion of the CDF funded Community Festival programme, the wider event programme and future plans for delivery.

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a report on the Cultural Development Fund (CDF) funded Community Festival programme, the wider event programme and future plans for delivery. The Deputy Director – Economic Development introduced the item, following which there was a short film presentation, setting out what the Community Festival had achieved. Elaine Knight, Arts Director of Severn Arts, was in attendance and she responded to questions from Committee Members.

 

The report explained that CDF funding ended in 2023 and the Council agreed a one-off commitment of £20k form the Cultural Strategy Delivery Fund to support Severn Arts to continue their role as a Community Producer for a further year. There is an ongoing budget of £25k to support events in the city. All of the festivals are looking to continue delivery and have individually secured additional funding to support their activities.

 

Officers responded to questions and comments from Committee Members. In the ensuing discussion, it was suggested by the Chair that consideration be given to how the festivals can be taken into other locations beyond the city centre. Members expressed appreciation for the variety of events which have delivered.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee note the content of this report.

53.

Worcester Community Trust Skills Delivery Plans pdf icon PDF 361 KB

That the committee note the contents of this report.

 

 

Minutes:

The Committee received a report on the delivery of skills training by Worcester Community Trust (WCT) under the Town Investment Plan, as supported by the 2024/25 allocation of UKSPF funding for skills previously approved by this Committee. The Deputy Director – Policy and Strategy presented the report and highlighted the main points.

 

The report highlighted that Policy and Resources had approved procurement of works for capital improvements at a number of community centres across the city in February 2024. The original business case anticipated that ongoing maintenance and running costs would be met from income generated by the training to be delivered.

 

WCT have explored potential partners to support and enhance the delivery of training and maximise utilisation of the training facilities and a potential partner has been identified for the delivery of construction training from the two Building Blocks in line with the business case.

 

The report set out the expected completion dates for the capital works. An outline of the anticipated delivery in the first years of the project, as contained within the WCT Skills and Training Business Plan, was appended to the report, together with an outline of anticipated skills delivery under the building block sub lease.

 

The Deputy Director responded to questions and comments from Committee Members. In response to a question about the training to be delivered at the Dines Green hub, the Deputy Director advised that it would be beneficial for Officers and WCT to discuss this with local Members. Progress on delivery will be subject to quarterly review and further reports will be presented to this Committee.

 

The Chair asked if the quarterly reviews can include information on the range of skills training to be delivered.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee note the content of this report.

54.

Protect Duty: Protection of Premises (Martyn's Law) pdf icon PDF 122 KB

That the Committee

 

1.       note the proposed incoming legislation (including proposed statutory duties) and its potential impact on the Council and other organisations; and

 

2.       note the measures being taken by the Council to support our staff to understand and comply with these new proposed statutory duties and continue to work towards identifying any additional costs in relation to complying with the anticipated legislation.

 

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on the Terrorism (Protection of Premises) Bill announced in the King’s Speech in November 2023. The Economic Development and Regeneration Team Leader presented the report and explained the main provisions. The legislation will place a requirement on those responsible for publicly accessible locations to consider the threat from terrorism and implement appropriate and proportionate mitigation measures.? Many of the details are still to be announced and the legislation will be accompanied by significant guidance.

 

The legislation is likely to require re-prioritisation of existing resources or the provision of additional resources to ensure that Council owned venues comply with the new legislation. It is expected that additional training and support will be required to be undertaken to cover the workforce and Members.  The report set out a number of areas where the City Council has already started to progress in this area of work.

 

There were no questions or comments from Committee Members.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree to:

 

1.    note the proposed incoming legislation (including proposed statutory duties) and its potential impact on the Council and other organisations; and

 

2.    note the measures being taken by the Council to support our staff to understand and comply with these new proposed statutory duties and continue to work towards identifying any additional costs in relation to complying with the anticipated legislation.

55.

Any Other Business

Which in the opinion of the Chair is of sufficient urgency as to warrant consideration.

Minutes:

This was the final meeting of the Committee for the current Municipal Year and the Chair thanked Committee Members for their support over the past twelve months.