Agenda and minutes

Venue: Remote Meeting

Contact: Committee Administration 01905 722027, 722006, 722085 

Items
No. Item

23.

Appointment of Substitutes

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

Minutes:

None.

24.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

None.

25.

Public Participation

Up to a total of fifteen minutes can be allowed, each speaker being allocated a maximum of five minutes, for members of the public to present a petition, ask a question or comment on any matter on the Agenda or within the remit of the Committee.

Minutes:

Paul Snookes, representative of Worcester Environmental Group (WEG), addressed the Committee on several issues relating to biodiversity.  The Committee were asked to consider the need for a wildlife ranger to be re-employed to enhance biodiversity for the benefit of the residents of Worcester.  He also indicated that money could be saved, CO2 reduced and biodiversity enhanced by adopting a cut and collect regime on verges and grasslands in Worcester.

 

The Chair gave thanks to Paul Snookes for his contribution to the meeting.

 

 

 

 

26.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 136 KB

Of the meeting held on 27th October 2020 to be approved and signed.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 27th October 2020 be approved as a correct record and signed remotely by the Chairman.

 

Matters Arising:

 

Minute 18 – Allotments Review

 

The Chair asked Officers to update on the progress of the Task and Finish Group set up for the review.  The Head of Operational Services reported that Officers had been working with the Task and Finish Group to seek an organisation to undertake the review.  It was hoped that the group would be in a position shortly to inform the Forum Members and Allotment Holders.

 

Minute 22 – Any Other Business – Lyme Disease

 

Members were informed that Worcestershire County Council had now agreed that Worcester Countryside Centre would be promoting signage and working with Lyme Disease UK to establish communication and education awareness. It was considered that this would be an opportunity for the City to co-ordinate with the Countryside Service to provide information to residents using the Countryside Centre and the Nature Reserves in the City to educate and create awareness of the issues and dangers Lyme Disease.   It was hoped that a report would come before the next Committee, if possible, to consider what action could be taken.  The Chair agreed that this was an opportunity for the City to join with the Countryside Centre to provide a co-ordinated approach.

 

27.

Capital Investment Programme - Public Bins pdf icon PDF 1 MB

That Committee:

 

1.   Note the contents of this report and the challenges associated with the condition, mix and location of a proportion of the existing public bin infrastructure;

 

2.   Instructs officers to work with the Chair and Vice Chair of Environment Committee, Ward Members and key stakeholders in each Ward to identify appropriate styles and locations of litter and recycling bins in order to produce ward level action plans for implementation between 2021/2022 – 2024/2025, and to present for approval to this Committee during 2021, a further report outlining these ward action plans, together with planned capital expenditure and,

 

3.   Recommends to Council the allocation of a total of £250,000 within the Capital Programme, covering period 2021/2022 – 2024/25, in order to fund the implementation of ward level action plans which will be presented to this Committee for approval during 2021.

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on a Capital Investment Programme for Public Bins.  The Environmental Operations Project Manager presented the report in conjunction with a powerpoint presentation.

 

The Council has been reviewing the way it manages and delivers the City’s Street Scene Services.  ‘Clean Streets’ was identified as a key work stream in the Council’s Transformation programme.  The scope covers all services which have an impact on local environmental quality including the provision of litter and recycling bins in public locations.

 

Details of the current public bin provision was provided at paragraph 3 of the report, appendix 1 attached to the report provided examples of current bin styles, appendix 2 provided examples of newer bin styles.  In order to set a clear direction for the provision of public litter and recycling bins, a set of principles for the investment programme had been set.  By following these principles it is expected that benefits would be realised whilst ensuring the City has a modern, attractive and sufficient number of public bins.

 

The preferred options for the bins were highlighted at paragraph 5.1 of the report.  Alternative options had been considered.  Officers responded to questions from Members.

 

The Committee’s attention was drawn to the recommendations within the report and in particular 1.3.  The Chair asked the Corporate Director – Finance and Resources to clarify the recommendation from a constitutional aspect.

 

The Corporate Director – Finance and Resources clarified the understanding of the difference of how normally monies are allocated for projects and how the capital programme is built.  He stated that there is no reason why the report could not go to Council, but as it stands there is no business case.  He suggested at this stage, that as part of the budget process, to proceed with recommendation 1.2 then proceed to Council.

 

The Corporate Director – Homes and Communities on the advice of the Corporate Director – Finance and Resources clarified the recommendations in the report to be amended as follows

 

1.1        To remain as is

1.2        Wording after 2024/2025 to be deleted

1.3        To be deleted and replaced with

 

note that a further report will be brought to this Committee during 2021 that will present ward level action plans, together with associated planned capital expenditure.

 

Members asked that the amendments to the recommendations be circulated to them for clarity.

 

It was agreed that the recommendations, as amended, be approved.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee:

 

1.   note the contents of this report and the challenges associated with the condition, mix and location of a proportion of the existing public bin infrastructure;

 

2.   instructs officers to work with the Chair and Vice Chair of Environment Committee, Ward Members and key stakeholders in each Ward to identify appropriate styles and locations of litter and recycling bins in order to produce ward level action plans for implementation between 2021/2022 – 2024/2025; and

 

3.   note that a further report will be brought to this Committee during 2021 that will present ward level action plans, together with associated  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Setting of the Budget for 2021/22 and the MTPF to 2025/26 pdf icon PDF 206 KB

1.   That the Committee note the proposed Budgets for the various services identified for 2021/22;

 

2.   That the Committee consider the priorities within each service and recommends any change for the services’ Budgets including the Income and Efficiency plans;

 

3.   That the Committee consider the services’ Capital programme and future projects and recommends any changes or additions; and

 

4.   That the Committee reviews any new budget proposals from members and makes recommendations to Policy and Resources Committee as appropriate.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the proposed budgets for Environment Services for 2021/22.  The Committee reviewed the priorities within each service and the initiatives proposed in the Income and Efficiency plan, and reviewed the City Plan allocations.  The Committee also considered the draft Capital Programme to 2024/25.

 

The Corporate Director – Finance and Resources presented the report and the Head of Finance commented on the detailed aspects of the appendices (1-3).  Officers responded to questions from Members.

 

During the debate Members considered budget proposals to recommend to Policy and Resources Committee. The following proposal for consideration was made:

 

Gull Control –  It was proposed to allocate additional funding of £7,500 for additional activities to improve the control of gull numbers in the City Centre, building on the programme of activities already agreed by the Committee in October 2020.  This additional funding would look at nest and egg removal, where there is no internal access and the trial of red roof surfaces as a deterrent to nesting gulls at properties in Brook Street and Fish Street.  The proposal was seconded and upon being put to the vote was agreed.

 

The Sub-Committee proceeded to consider the proposed budgets for Environment Services for 2021/22. The Committee did not recommend any change for the services’ Budgets or the Income and Efficiency plans. The Committee supported the Capital Programme and future projects and did not recommend any changes or additions. 

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee:

 

1.   note the proposed Budgets for the various services identified for 2021/22;

 

2.   note the priorities within each service;

 

3.   note the services’ Capital Programme and future projects; and

 

4.   recommend the Policy and Resources Committee to agree the following new budget proposal:

 

·         Gull Control, additional activity - £7,500

29.

Quarter 3 Performance Report 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 187 KB

That the Environment Committee notes the Council’s Quarter 3 performance for 2020/21.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Quarter 3 Performance for the Environment Committee for 2020/21, attached as Appendix 1 to the report.

 

The Corporate Director – Finance and Resources presented the report and advised that there was detailed commentary on the status of each of the projects and performance indicators in the appendix.

 

The Committee’s attention was drawn to the Street Scene PI for quality, which was being reported for the first time using the new standards approved by the Committee in July 2020.  The Head of Environmental Operations indicated that the percentage figure given should read 97% and not 71%.  An explanation was provided on the grading structure to reach the percentage figure.  Officers agreed that some of the information provided and PI descriptions needed to be clearer.

 

The Chair asked that this information be amended, the report re-issued and circulated to all Members for clarity.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee note the Council’s Quarter 3 performance for 2020/21.

30.

Any Other Business

Which in the opinion of the Chairman is of sufficient urgency as to warrant consideration.

Minutes:

Cripplegate Park

 

Members were informed that 19th June 2022 will see the 100th Anniversary of the opening of Cripplegate Park by Mayor, Samuel Southall.  It was asked whether the Committee would consider marking this occasion and requested that a report be brought back to a future Committee meeting.  The Chair, in response, stated that consideration would be given to celebrate this Centenary.

 

Sue Horrobin

 

Members were informed that Sue Horrobin, Head of Environmental Operations, would be leaving the City Council this week and taking up a strategic post at Worcestershire County Council Waste Management.  The Chair on behalf of the Committee thanked Sue for all her hard work in bringing about the transformation of Environmental Operations which had seen some huge changes.