Agenda and minutes

Venue: Remote Meeting

Contact: Committee Administration 01905 722027, 722006, 722085 

Items
No. Item

42.

Appointment of Substitutes

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

Minutes:

Councillor Bill Amos for Councillor Ditta.

43.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

None.

44.

Public Participation

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

 

Minutes:

None.

45.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 141 KB

Of the meeting held on 27th January 2021 to be approved and signed.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 27th January 2021 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

46.

Worcester Community Trust Transition To Strategic Plan 2021 - 25 pdf icon PDF 127 KB

1.   To note the contents of this report and in particular:

a)Introduction to New Worcester Community Trust Strategy Presentation at Appendix 1

b)City Council Members Briefing Worcester Community Trust Draft Strategy at Appendix 2

c)Worcester Community Trust Business Plan 2018 at Appendix 3; and

 

2.   To note the progress achieved against the Worcester Community Trust Business Plan 2018-2023; and the development of a new 2021-2025 Strategic Plan which will commence in April 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on the new Worcester Community Trust Strategy. Ruth Heywood, CEO, Worcester Community Trust, gave a presentation to the Committee. A copy of the presentation, the draft 4 Year Strategic Plan and the 2018 Business Plan were appended to the agenda report. The presentation included an update on progress made on the existing Business Plan over the past 3 years and highlighted how the existing objectives will be absorbed into the new Strategy. The transition of the financial plan from the existing Business Plan into the new Strategy was also explained.

 

Committee Members acknowledged the significant changes made by the Trust over the past three years, both structurally and financially and welcomed the report.

 

Ruth Heywood encouraged Members to help the Trust by providing them with information about challenges faced by local residents across all Wards and about community services being delivered in those areas.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee:

 

1.    agree to note the contents of this report and in particular the Introduction to New Worcester Community Trust Strategy Presentation, the City Council Members Briefing Worcester Community Trust Draft Strategy and the Worcester Community Trust Business Plan 2018; and

 

2.    agree to note the progress achieved against the Worcester Community Trust Business Plan 2018-2023; and the development of a new 2021-2025 Strategic Plan which will commence in April 2021.

47.

COVID-19 Community Recovery Plan - Progress Report pdf icon PDF 701 KB

That the Committee:

 

1.     Note the contents of the report; and

 

2.     Approve a twelve-month extension of the existing Community Recovery Plan through until March 2021, and note that progress reports will be reported back to this Committee in October 2021 and May 2022.

 

(Report to follow)

Minutes:

The Committee received a progress report on delivery of the Council’s COVID-19 Community Recovery Plan (CRP) which was approved by this Committee in July 2020. The Corporate Director – Homes and Communities presented the report. The report updated Members on the progress that has been made against each of the 9 priority areas of the CRP and gave a risk status for each. This would guide focus and resources over the coming weeks and months.

 

It was proposed to extend the existing CRP for a period of 12 months, during which it will be kept under regular review, with a report back formally to this Committee in October 2021 and May 2022 on progress. If in the intervening period additional priorities were identified or existing priorities were to change, this would be reported back through the update reports for Member endorsement.

 

Officers responded to questions from Committee Members on detailed aspects of the report.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee:

 

1. agree to note the contents of the report; and

 

2.approve a twelve-month extension of the existing Community Recovery Plan through until March 2021 and note that progress reports will be reported back to this Committee in October 2021 and May 2022.

48.

Child Poverty Task And Finish Group Review Report pdf icon PDF 275 KB

That the Committee:

 

1.     Notes the contents of this report and in particular the Child Poverty Task and Finish Group Findings & Recommendation Report attached at Appendix 1;

 

2.     Approves the recommendations proposed (A-H) within the Child Poverty Task and Finish Group Findings & Recommendation Report at Appendix 1; and

 

3.     Notes that a progress report will be presented to this Committee at its October 2021 meeting.

 

(Report to follow)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report and findings of the Child Poverty Task and Finish Group. The Head of Strategic Housing introduced the report and explained the background to the Group, the work which the Group had undertaken its findings and its recommendations.

 

The Chairman of the Group, Councillor Biggs, was unable to attend the meeting and had sent her apologies. In her absence, Councillor Griffiths spoke on behalf of the Group and thanked all who had taken part. In addition to proposing that the findings and recommendations be adopted, she proposed that the Group should continue its work into the new Municipal year. She emphasised the importance of assessing the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on Child Poverty locally.

 

The Corporate Director – Homes and Resources advised that that the Group had completed its work and delivery of the recommendations would now fall to Officers. He proposed that periodic updates be provided to the Committee on implementation of the recommendations.

 

There was a subsequent debate about the way forward. A number of suggestions were made including having a standing item on the agenda  on this topic for each meeting, receiving reports from the multi-agency Worcester City Child Food Poverty Group, or resuming the Group as a standing sub-group of this Committee. The comment was also made that the value of continuing the Group needs to be clearly identified.

 

In conclusion, the Chairman proposed that there should be a report on the way forward from Officers to the May meeting, and Members agreed to proceed on this basis.

 

The Committee proceeded to debate the findings and recommendations. It was clarified that the Group’s recommendations, which were set out within the Task and Finish Group’s Report, were as follows:

 

A.   To formally request the Health and Wellbeing Board to undertake a food poverty Joint Strategic Needs Assessments with a focus on children.

B.   To support the Foodbank in finding a new location and the dispersed approach so that it can operate to its best ability.

C.  To review the relationship of Worcester Discretionary Welfare Assistance Scheme with food poverty along with other similar schemes being delivered by partners across the City.

D.  To consider if any suitable council land and/or allotment space can be used e.g. for community vegetable patches to help address food poverty etc.

E.   The City Council work in partnership with the Worcestershire Health and Wellbeing Board to address the health inequalities resulting from child poverty.

F.   To work in partnership with the Health and Wellbeing Board to complete a food poverty Joint Strategic Needs Assessments with a focus on children.

G.  A local multi agency Worcester City Child Food Poverty Group to be set up to monitor the situation post Covid 19 and co-ordinate the delivery of support to tackle food poverty in the city.

H.  A budget of £50,000 to support the delivery of the above.

 

It was also clarified that item H - the budget of £50,000 - had been approved at the Council meeting on  ...  view the full minutes text for item 48.

49.

Review Of Worcester City Council Public Spaces Protection Order (No 1 Of 2018) - Dog Control pdf icon PDF 2 MB

1.   To note the contents of the report and in particular:

a. the consultation responses at Appendix 1

b. the draft Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) at Appendix 2

c. the Equality Impact Assessment at Appendix 3;

 

2.   To approve the detail of the Dog Control PSPO at Appendix 2 to include:

a. The disposal of dog faeces by a person in charge of a dog

b. A dog must not be taken into or kept in a “dog exclusion area” by a person in charge of a dog

c. The maximum number of dogs to be under a single person’s supervision is set at four;

d. To extend the Dog Control PSPO from 6th July 2021 to 5th July 2024; and

 

3.   To note the further work that will be undertaken in respect of  Perdiswell and Pitchcroft public open spaces, and reported back to this Committee.

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on the outcome of the public consultation exercise as part of reviewing the Public Spaces Protection Order which ran from 18 December to 24 January 2021. The Community Services Team Manager presented the report and explained the main findings. He responded to questions from Committee Members.

 

In summary, 48% of consultation responses recommended that the Council extends the existing PSPO. There was support from stakeholders and no issues had been identified in the equality impact assessment. It was therefore recommended that the detail of the Dog Control PSPO at Appendix 2 to the report be approved.

 

It was noted that the PSPO will henceforth refer to “disposal” rather than collection of dog faeces by the person in charge of the dog.

 

The area identified for the PSPO was considered to be appropriate to the scale of the antisocial behaviour and was a balanced approach based on the consultation responses received to date.  Further information is needed to establish whether additional exclusion, restrictive areas and/ or exempt areas are needed.

 

It was proposed that the PooWatch website and Dog Control PSPO should be promoted to ensure people understand and take part in reporting.  In turn this will inform, direct and improve Officer enforcement.

 

Further work was required to seek views from recreational users of Perdiswell and Pitchcroft green spaces and to actively seek feedback from the protected characteristics of age, disability, race and religion.

 

In the ensuing discussion, it was explained that “any bin will do” is part of the messaging. A number of Members emphasised the need for effective enforcement. Officers advised that civil enforcement officers will be trained to undertake environmental enforcement as well as car parking.

 

Committee Members expressed support for the recommendations set out in the report.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee:

 

1.    agree to note the contents of the report and in particular the consultation responses, the draft Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) and the Equality Impact Assessment;

 

2.    approve the detail of the Dog Control PSPO at Appendix 2 to include:

a.The disposal of dog faeces by a person in charge of a dog

b.A dog must not be taken into or kept in a “dog exclusion area” by a person in charge of a dog

c.The maximum number of dogs to be under a single person’s supervision is set at four;

d.To extend the Dog Control PSPO from 6th July 2021 to 5th July 2024; and

 

3.    agree to note the further work that will be undertaken in respect of  Perdiswell and Pitchcroft public open spaces, and reported back to this Committee.

50.

Supporting Rough Sleepers Through Covid 19 pdf icon PDF 393 KB

That the Committee:

 

1.     Notes the content of the report and the work being undertaken to accommodate and support rough sleepers during and following the Covid-19 Pandemic; and

 

2.     Notes that a further report will be presented to this Committee at its May meeting that will detail a review of the Single and Childless Couples Homelessness Prevention Service (HoPES) contract.

Minutes:

The Committee received a report which provided an update on the work undertaken to accommodate and support rough sleepers during and following the Covid-19 Pandemic. The Head of Strategic Housing presented the report. She highlighted the main points and responded to questions.

 

The report explained that a review of the HoPES contract is currently being undertaken and a paper will be brought to Committee in May with the findings of this review.

 

In the ensuing discussion, a request was made for a progress report on the Housing First scheme to be provided at the May meeting.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree to note:

 

1.   the content of the report and the work being undertaken to accommodate and support rough sleepers during and following the Covid-19 Pandemic; and

 

2.   that a further report will be presented to this Committee at its May meeting that will detail a review of the Single and Childless Couples Homelessness Prevention Service (HoPES) contract.

51.

Proposed Committee Performance Scorecard for 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 109 KB

That the Communities Committee consider the proposed content of the Communities Performance Scorecard for 2021/22.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered the proposed content of the Communities Performance Scorecard for 2021/22. The Corporate Director – Homes and Communities presented the report and summarised the main points, including Key Projects and Activities, new Projects for 2021/22 and current projects that have been removed.

 

In response to a question about Tennis in the Park, the Corporate Director explained that Officers are aware of concerns expressed about the amount of free access time and the need to provide paperwork when booking sessions. A number of options are being drawn up which will provide for additional free hours per week and Members will be informed about this shortly.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree the proposed content of the Communities Performance Scorecard for 2021/22.

52.

Any Other Business

Which in the opinion of the Chairman is of sufficient urgency as to warrant consideration.

Minutes:

The Vice-Chair noted that this was the final meeting of the Committee for the 2020/21 Municipal Year. She and the Chair both thanked all Members for their contribution to the work of the Committee during the year.