Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Guildhall

Contact: Committee Administration 01905 722027, 722085 

Note: To view the live broadcast go to https://www.youtube.com/user/WorcesterCityCouncil 

Media

Items
No. Item

13.

Appointment of Substitutes

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

Minutes:

Councillor Allah Ditta for Councillor Cleary, Councillor Lewing for Councillor Piotrowski.

14.

Declarations of Interest

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

None.

15.

Public Participation

To receive details of any Members appointed to attend the meeting instead of a Member of the Committee.

 

Minutes:

None.

16.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 127 KB

Of the meeting held on 8th June 2022 to be approved and signed.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 8th June 2022 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

17.

Annual Platform Housing Group Update pdf icon PDF 202 KB

1.   That the Committee note the contents of this report; and

 

2.   That the Committee instructs officers to work with Platform Housing Group to develop a new local framework to support greater collaboration in Worcester.

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation from representatives of Platform Housing Group. In attendance were:

 

        Lisa Fairlie, Director of Housing Operations

        Marc Mayall, Director of Operations – Platform Property Care

        Michael Bruce – Director of Platform Hub and Income

        Clare Greensall – Head of Localities

 

The report covered a wide range of issues, including Platform’s Corporate Strategy, Localities Operating Model, tenancy Health Checks, Customer and Community Engagement Activity, Furniture Recycling, awards made through Platform’s Wellbeing Fund, the Platform Hub, which is responsible for managing all customer contact, the current position and future issues in relation to Repairs, Capital Investment and their involvement with the wider community. Following the presentation, there was an opportunity for Committee Members to ask questions, and a wide range of issues were raised, including the following:

 

·        Lisa Fairlie offered to speak to Members outside the meeting in respect of any specific issues relating to response times to complaints or issues raised by tenants which have not been dealt with.

 

·        With regard to anti-social behaviour, Platform explained their policy for dealing with complaints and emphasised they are proactive. They are happy to have one-to-one discussion with Members about individual cases.

 

·        Local Members can be invited to community walkabout events that Platform organise in their Ward.

 

·        Platform can provide Members with names and telephone phone numbers for officer contacts within their organisation.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree to:

 

1.    note the contents of this report; and

 

2.   instruct Officers to work with Platform Housing Group to develop a new local framework to support greater collaboration in Worcester.

18.

Museums Worcestershire Annual Review pdf icon PDF 238 KB

That the Committee note the activities undertaken in museums in 21-22 and the impact made.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation from the Museums Manager on activities undertaken in museums in 2021-22 and the impact made. The report highlighted Covid recovery, community engagement and projects, the Glove Affair project and the successful Titanic exhibition. The Museums Manager responded to questions from Committee Members.

 

Members wholeheartedly welcomed the report and expressed thanks to the work undertaken by both staff and volunteers.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee note the activities undertaken in museums in 2021-22 and the impact made.

19.

Homelessness Annual Review 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 238 KB

1.     That the Committee note the contents of this report;

 

2.   That the Committee note the contents of the Annual Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Report 2021/22; and

 

3.   That the Committee endorse the proposed allocation of resources.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received a report on the provision of homelessness services during 2021/22. The Head of Homes and Communities presented the report and explained that its purpose was to inform the Committee of the extent of demand, response and activity of the homelessness service during the past year. In summary, the past two years had been particularly challenging and had seen significant shifts in the nature of people seeking help, advice and support leading to less of an ability to intervene and prevent their homelessness. The report also touched upon the year ahead and set out the allocation of the Homelessness Prevention Grant for the provision of services in 2022/23. The 2022/23 grant allocation to Worcester City Council is £474,097. The report set out how this will be spent

 

The Head of Homes and Communities responded to questions and comments from Committee Members.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree to:

 

1.    note the contents of this report;

 

2.    note the contents of the Annual Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Report 2021/22; and

 

3.    endorse the proposed allocation of resources.

20.

Quarter 1 Performance Report For 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 187 KB

That the Communities Committee notes the Council’s quarter 1 performance for 2022/23.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report on the Council’s Quarter 1 performance for Communities for 2022/23. The Corporate Director – Operations, Homes and Communities presented the report and highlighted the main points.

 

Committee Members asked questions and commented on various aspects of the report.

 

In relation to Community Events Supported, a comment was raised about the Council charging to use land whereas previously it was made available free of charge. The Corporate Director stated that he would investigate and provide a written response. He agreed also to clarify why was been a drop in the number of Community Events Supported in April 2022.

 

In response to a question regarding Find It Do It In Worcester, the Corporate Director stated that he will check why it is red and provide a written response to Members.

 

RESOLVED: That the Committee agree to note the Council’s Quarter 1 performance for 2022/23.

21.

Any Other Business

Which in the opinion of the Chair is of sufficient urgency as to warrant consideration.

Minutes:

None.